Tuesday, January 09, 2007

New Jersey New Arena aka My Blog Ate My Homework

Ok, well, up until three minutes ago I had a witty little post written up about the Devil's new name for their new arena...alas Blogger.com (with help from Firefox via the Devil's web site and a Flash blocking plugin) decided to unceremoniously trash it. Guess I'll be hitting that "save as draft" button down there a little more often!

Anyway, "The Prudential Center" is the new name. I had looked up "prudence" on m-w.com (since that's what sportswriters do when they're stuck for a hook) and found this:

1 : the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason
2 : sagacity or shrewdness in the management of affairs
3 : skill and good judgment in the use of resources
4 : caution or circumspection as to danger or risk

Then I believe I said something about how numbers 2 and 3 actually fit the New Jersey Devils and their management very well. Blah blah blah Lou Lamoriello's magic wand had removed Malakhov and Mogilny's salaries from this year's books, thus tucking the team safely under the cap, with room to re-sign Scott Gomez, etc. Also fits the team's mastery of the defensive "trap" system, which fueled their way to three Stanley Cup championships in the '90's and '00's, and some of the most boring hockey you've ever seen.

And that's where it died on me.

Anyway, I don't think I even mind the corporate names so much (who else can pony up $100 million for a hockey rink?), maybe it's mostly just the last word in the name, in this case "center". Course they use that word cause it'll also house rock concerts, wrestling, bake sales and car washes, anything that more than one person will pay money to get into. I just miss the old days I guess, with Arenas, Forums and Gardens. But, whatever, it's not the name that matters, it's the caliber of hockey being played under it.

No comments: